Been working on a brochure design for a used car dealership. I had made a coloured version of this, but since the dealership is more likely to go for less expensive black and white printing I did a grayscale version as well.
I like how the grayscale copy turned out, actually. It doesn’t have that shiny colour polish, but it’s got a cool graphic look. Printed out a rough copy on my old printer just to get a feel for it.
Phew! Finished off my Adobe Captivate demo course yesterday evening. I’m quite happy with how it turned out — it’s a good match to what I had in mind. Unfortunately the file will not be available forever (will probably expire in late June), because of the limitations on my trial version of the software. But once I’m able to have access to a fully licensed version, I’ll make sure to replace it with a permanent copy.
Update: I found someone to help me publish a permanent copy of the course. However, you’ll notice a few funny things in the layout because they did not have access to the same fonts that I was using, and I didn’t want to bother them with having to install fonts (they were already doing me a huge favor). So please forgive the minor mis-alignments! I will fix them when I have access to a full version of Captivate for myself.
Phew! After a few days working on my demo course, it’s almost done! All the content and functionality is now in place. The only thing left to do is to add a little animation, just to make some of the screens more dynamic.
I’m determined to finish that tonight! For now, you can take a look at the teeny thumbnails in my Captivate filmstrip view.
Having a ton of fun building this course in Captivate.
And I was totally correct, building in Illustrator and then re-creating in Captivate is working a lot faster for me. It took me only two hours this morning to build a new theme and create the first four screens, interactions and all. Importing custom assets is super easy when you’ve already determined your layout and final dimensions.
I started building my ‘learn to bake… Sugar Cookies’ course in Captivate.
But it was sort of a headache (because of all the custom graphics I’m using) so I’ve gone back to lay the whole thing out in Illustrator instead. After I do that, it should be a cinch to rebuild it all in Captivate. I can just re-create all the basic shapes (rounded rectangles and all that) and pull the custom assets out of the Illustrator file as I need them.
Working on some template designs for my demo Captivate course.
Yes. It’s an e-learning course about making cookies. Why not? Might as well have some fun with the subject matter, since I’m just using this demo to show my abilities. (And my abilities include making cookies.)
When I went to school at Humber, we shared a building with a few culinary classrooms. The chefs-in-training had checkered pants as part of their uniform, so I guess there’s some reason for that?
Anyway, here’s teeny Chef Tony. He’s got his regulation checkered pants and everything!
I’ll be using him in a demo training course I’m making to show my abilities with e-learning authoring tools like Adobe Captivate and Articulate Storyline. More screenshots from that as I progress along.
Finished off work on my new portfolio! I printed out a couple of copies at Staples last night. They don’t do custom papers there (I had wanted to use something heavier, and more matte) but I don’t mind the way it came out on their ‘linen look’ paper. It’s nice to touch, and the little goldfinch looks pretty cute there.
I was a little disappointed that they no longer have white plastic for cerlox binding. I went with the black instead, but the coil came out a little looser than I would have liked — I’ve done lots of binding before, and they can usually get it tighter than that. Well, as long as you’re not binding two encyclopedias together. I’ve seen some people try doing just about that.
In order to protect the IP of my past clients, I won’t be releasing my portfolio online. But feel free to contact me (email@example.com) if you would like me to send you a copy directly.
Hey all! I’m currently working on the layout and design of my new portfolio. It’s sort of hard to get a feel for that sort of thing on a computer screen alone, so here it is as a sort of print ‘mock-up’ — printed out on my aging printer and filed in page protectors. This way I can flip through and get a sense of how it will really look and feel once it’s complete.
The good part about the page protectors is that if you make a revision, you can just print out the new page and replace it right away.
I’m going to need to make a few of those revisions, and then it’s good to go. Should have it done early this coming week!
Also, a glass of wildflowers. Nothing like some dandy lions to cheer things up.