This July/August, I got the chance to volunteer with the 2015 Pan American and Para Pan Am games. It was a great experience, and I had the COOLEST job; I was on the medal ceremonies crew! It was our job to coordinate the medal ceremonies, raise flags, escort athletes and dignitaries to the podium, and bring out the medals and gifts!
For the Pan Am games, I worked the equestrian events (which I requested, of course), and during Para Pan Am I was stationed at the venue for wheelchair tennis (which was amazing).
I worked with some great people, and I wanted to give them a small but unique token by which to remember the experience. I decided on pinback buttons — one for each of my teams.
I whipped both of these (obviously comedic) designs up pretty quickly since I didn’t have a lot of time to spare… but I’m quite happy with them, and I think my teams enjoyed them as well!
I’ve been enjoying my new job a lot — but also doing my best to set aside time for personal projects. This one in particular is a… semi-personal project, I suppose. I developed a logotype for the game store my husband is planning to open. We’ve had a name in mind for a while, and figured it was time to start thinking of a visual identity.
To go with the gaming theme, I picked the shape of a 20-sided die, which is used for certain games (notably, Dungeons & Dragons). It’s definitely a symbol that would be recognized by avid gamers. However, I wanted to avoid it looking too cheesy and ‘nerdy’, so I simplified it down to clean geometric lines.
I think it looks pretty good. There’s plenty of time to tweak it yet, but for now I’m happy with this direction.
I’m taking a class at Skillshare right now — an open skills teaching environment. The one I’m doing happens to be free, but most classes are just 20 bucks or so. Lots of design stuff, but also cooking, business and other sorts of classes as well.
Anyway, my class is called ‘Illustrate Your Day: An Intro to Symbol Design’ and the project we’re working on is a set of symbols that tells the story of your daily routine.
I was doing some concept sketches last night and… symbol design is pretty tricky! I’ll keep you updated as I progress.
Been working on a brochure design for a used car dealership. I had made a coloured version of this, but since the dealership is more likely to go for less expensive black and white printing I did a grayscale version as well.
I like how the grayscale copy turned out, actually. It doesn’t have that shiny colour polish, but it’s got a cool graphic look. Printed out a rough copy on my old printer just to get a feel for it.
I started building my ‘learn to bake… Sugar Cookies’ course in Captivate.
But it was sort of a headache (because of all the custom graphics I’m using) so I’ve gone back to lay the whole thing out in Illustrator instead. After I do that, it should be a cinch to rebuild it all in Captivate. I can just re-create all the basic shapes (rounded rectangles and all that) and pull the custom assets out of the Illustrator file as I need them.
Super excited to get this finished now!
I’m working on a quick project for a car dealership in Ottawa. They’re looking for a big checklist — and by big, I mean really big. Like, over 250 items big.
That’s pretty unmanageable when you’re talking standard print materials, so I’m sketching up some ideas about presenting it in some sort of clever infographic format instead.
I think I’m a fan of miniature pie charts. You can tell because I doodled them in colour, and, well, they’re pie charts. Everybody loves pie charts.
Finished off work on my new portfolio! I printed out a couple of copies at Staples last night. They don’t do custom papers there (I had wanted to use something heavier, and more matte) but I don’t mind the way it came out on their ‘linen look’ paper. It’s nice to touch, and the little goldfinch looks pretty cute there.
I was a little disappointed that they no longer have white plastic for cerlox binding. I went with the black instead, but the coil came out a little looser than I would have liked — I’ve done lots of binding before, and they can usually get it tighter than that. Well, as long as you’re not binding two encyclopedias together. I’ve seen some people try doing just about that.
In order to protect the IP of my past clients, I won’t be releasing my portfolio online. But feel free to contact me (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you would like me to send you a copy directly.
Hey all! I’m currently working on the layout and design of my new portfolio. It’s sort of hard to get a feel for that sort of thing on a computer screen alone, so here it is as a sort of print ‘mock-up’ — printed out on my aging printer and filed in page protectors. This way I can flip through and get a sense of how it will really look and feel once it’s complete.
The good part about the page protectors is that if you make a revision, you can just print out the new page and replace it right away.
I’m going to need to make a few of those revisions, and then it’s good to go. Should have it done early this coming week!
Also, a glass of wildflowers. Nothing like some dandy lions to cheer things up.