I’ve been enjoying my new job a lot — but also doing my best to set aside time for personal projects. This one in particular is a… semi-personal project, I suppose. I developed a logotype for the game store my husband is planning to open. We’ve had a name in mind for a while, and figured it was time to start thinking of a visual identity.
To go with the gaming theme, I picked the shape of a 20-sided die, which is used for certain games (notably, Dungeons & Dragons). It’s definitely a symbol that would be recognized by avid gamers. However, I wanted to avoid it looking too cheesy and ‘nerdy’, so I simplified it down to clean geometric lines.
I think it looks pretty good. There’s plenty of time to tweak it yet, but for now I’m happy with this direction.
I’m taking a class at Skillshare right now — an open skills teaching environment. The one I’m doing happens to be free, but most classes are just 20 bucks or so. Lots of design stuff, but also cooking, business and other sorts of classes as well.
Anyway, my class is called ‘Illustrate Your Day: An Intro to Symbol Design’ and the project we’re working on is a set of symbols that tells the story of your daily routine.
I was doing some concept sketches last night and… symbol design is pretty tricky! I’ll keep you updated as I progress.
Been working on a brochure design for a used car dealership. I had made a coloured version of this, but since the dealership is more likely to go for less expensive black and white printing I did a grayscale version as well.
I like how the grayscale copy turned out, actually. It doesn’t have that shiny colour polish, but it’s got a cool graphic look. Printed out a rough copy on my old printer just to get a feel for it.
Phew! Finished off my Adobe Captivate demo course yesterday evening. I’m quite happy with how it turned out — it’s a good match to what I had in mind. Unfortunately the file will not be available forever (will probably expire in late June), because of the limitations on my trial version of the software. But once I’m able to have access to a fully licensed version, I’ll make sure to replace it with a permanent copy.
Update: I found someone to help me publish a permanent copy of the course. However, you’ll notice a few funny things in the layout because they did not have access to the same fonts that I was using, and I didn’t want to bother them with having to install fonts (they were already doing me a huge favor). So please forgive the minor mis-alignments! I will fix them when I have access to a full version of Captivate for myself.
Learn to Bake… Sugar Cookies
Let me know if you have any feedback!
Phew! After a few days working on my demo course, it’s almost done! All the content and functionality is now in place. The only thing left to do is to add a little animation, just to make some of the screens more dynamic.
I’m determined to finish that tonight! For now, you can take a look at the teeny thumbnails in my Captivate filmstrip view.
Having a ton of fun building this course in Captivate.
And I was totally correct, building in Illustrator and then re-creating in Captivate is working a lot faster for me. It took me only two hours this morning to build a new theme and create the first four screens, interactions and all. Importing custom assets is super easy when you’ve already determined your layout and final dimensions.
I started building my ‘learn to bake… Sugar Cookies’ course in Captivate.
But it was sort of a headache (because of all the custom graphics I’m using) so I’ve gone back to lay the whole thing out in Illustrator instead. After I do that, it should be a cinch to rebuild it all in Captivate. I can just re-create all the basic shapes (rounded rectangles and all that) and pull the custom assets out of the Illustrator file as I need them.
Super excited to get this finished now!